Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Taylor Swift? All part of the spinel club!
In the world of magnificent gemstones, spinel has long been cherished for its enchanting allure and versatility, gracing the crowns of royalty and adorning the necks of Hollywood icons. Join us as we journey through time and delve into the rich history of spinel jewelry, discovering the famous pieces that have adorned the most illustrious figures in history. From opulent royal treasures to dazzling gems worn by Hollywood legends, spinel has captivated hearts and left an indelible mark on the jewelry world.
The "Black Prince's Ruby"
Perhaps one of the most famous spinel impostors, the "Black Prince's Ruby," set in the British Imperial State Crown, has a storied history that spans centuries. This impressive 170-carat red spinel once adorned the crown of Edward, the Black Prince of England, and has been passed down through generations of royalty. Its name, "Black Prince's Ruby," is a tribute to its association with the prince, even though it is a magnificent spinel. It remains a prominent feature of the British Crown Jewels, a testament to spinel's allure and enduring appeal.
Arthur Edwards WPA Pool/Getty Images
The Crown Jewels of Iran
Among the most exquisite and legendary collections of regal treasures lies the Crown Jewels of Iran, a symbol of the country's rich history and grandeur.
- The Samarian Spinel: The renowned Samarian Spinel is at the heart of this impressive collection. This magnificent spinel gemstone is one of the largest known spinels in the world, weighing an impressive 500 carats. With its deep red hue and exceptional clarity, the Samarian Spinel stands as a testament to the allure and significance of spinel throughout history. Adorning the crown jewels of Persian royalty, this remarkable gem holds a place of honor among the most prized possessions of Iran, embodying the splendor and magnificence of a bygone era.
2. The Timur Ruby: The "Timur Ruby," an impressive red gem weighing 352 carats, was once believed to be one of the world's largest rubies. The gemstone adorned the crown of Timur, the 14th-century Turco-Mongol conqueror. However, modern gemological analysis has confirmed that the Timur Ruby is, in fact, a spinel. Its grandeur and illustrious history solidify spinel's reputation as an imposter with great allure.
The Court Jeweler
The Austrian Imperial Crown Spinel
In the opulent collection of the Austrian Imperial Crown Jewels, the Austrian Imperial Crown Spinel claims its place as one of the most illustrious spinels in history. With its mesmerizing red color, this spinel gem adds an enchanting touch to the crown that once adorned the heads of Austrian emperors. The gem's captivating allure and significance in the crown jewels exemplify its status as a gemstone cherished by royalty and esteemed for its brilliance and beauty. Today, the Austrian Imperial Crown Spinel remains a poignant symbol of Austria's rich cultural heritage and historical splendor.
The Catherine the Great Spinel:
The Crown Jewels of Russia once gleamed with the magnificence of the Catherine the Great Spinel. Weighing an impressive 398 carats, this exceptional gemstone boasts a mesmerizing violet hue that sets it apart from its red and blue spinel counterparts. It is said that Catherine the Great of Russia was so taken by the beauty of this spinel that she wore it on her ceremonial crown. The Catherine the Great Spinel is a testament to the gemstone's allure across borders and royal dynasties. Its history and prominence in the Russian Crown Jewels highlight the gem's significance as a gemstone cherished by the most esteemed figures in history.
Beyond the realm of royalty, spinel has also made its mark on the red carpets of Hollywood, adorning some of the most beloved celebrities in the entertainment industry. Let's take a closer look at a few notable instances:
Lady Gaga, 2019 Met Gala Red Carpet: The avant-garde pop star, Lady Gaga, graced the 2019 Met Gala red carpet with a 5-carat pink spinel ring, exuding elegance and individuality. This exquisite ring, valued at $29,000, added a touch of bold color and sophistication to her ensemble, showcasing the spinel's versatility in making a statement on the world's most prestigious red carpet.
Taylor Swift, 'Delicate' Music Video : In the music video for 'Delicate,' Taylor Swift showcased her impeccable taste in jewelry by wearing an exquisite piece that left fans in awe. The 18K white gold and Rhodium vermeil with 18K Gold earring posts were adorned with a rainbow array of laboratory-grown and created gemstones such as royal blue sapphires, blue spinel, cornflower blue sapphires, and white diamonds. The intricate design of the jewelry was truly a work of art, and it added so much more to the visual storytelling of the music video. It goes to show that spinel and other gemstones can add a touch of magic to the world of music and fashion.
Katy Perry, 56th Annual Grammy Awards, 2016: At the 56th Annual Grammy Awards in 2016, the award-winning US pop star adorned herself with a pair of diamond and spinel earrings and a diamond and spinel ring, demonstrating spinel's allure as a complementary gemstone in dazzling jewelry pieces for the grandest of occasions.
- Madison Marlow From American Country Music Duo Maddie & Tae: Madison Marlow, one half of the American country music duo Maddie & Tae, shone brightly on the red carpet of the 53rd Academy of Country Music Awards in Las Vegas, Nevada. She wore a Pink Spinel and Moonstone Ring, showcasing the spinel's ability to add a touch of sophistication and grace to the world of country music.
Elizabeth Saltzman, The Hollywood Reporter: In the March 2018 issue of The Hollywood Reporter, renowned power stylist Elizabeth Saltzman adorned herself with Spinel Caterpillar Earrings on the cover. The striking earrings featuring blue spinels accentuated her style and highlighted spinel's presence in high fashion and editorial settings.
- Beyoncé, 'Black is King' Set: Beyoncé, the queen of pop, graced the set of 'Black is King' with the Paraiba Chandelier Earrings, featuring brilliant blue spinels. These exquisite earrings added a regal touch and a pop of color to the visual masterpiece, reaffirming spinel's status as a gemstone fit for royalty.
- Marion Cotillard, 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards: The talented actress, Marion Cotillard, looked stunning on the red carpet wearing a multicolored spinel bracelet (33 carats) set in 18-carat rose gold featuring over 1,100 orange sapphires (10 carats) and white diamond paves at the 70th Annual Golden Globe Awards. This exceptional spinel jewelry piece showcased the gem's versatility and elegance on one of Hollywood's most prestigious nights.
These instances demonstrate how spinel has captured the hearts of Hollywood's finest, gracing the red carpets and enhancing the glamour of entertainment and fashion. From elegant and sophisticated to bold and dazzling, spinel continues to leave its mark on celebrity style, showcasing its timeless allure and undeniable charm.
In conclusion, the history of spinel jewelry is as rich and captivating as the gemstones themselves. From famous royal treasures passed down through generations to the sparkle and glamour of Hollywood, spinel has charmed its way into the hearts of the world's most illustrious figures. These famous pieces witness the gem's enduring allure and place among history's most cherished and celebrated jewels. As spinel continues to captivate jewelry enthusiasts and collectors alike, its legacy of beauty and enchantment shines on, captivating hearts for generations to come.